[OCLUG-Tech] Home built PC w/ Win10 cannot get Ubuntu

Today, my son and I assembled a brand new PC, with all the parts (March break activity). We then installed Windows 8.1 (that's what he wanted). Everything is fine. I went ahead with installing
Ubuntu, booting the install from a USB key. I have two physical hard disks
in the box. A first of ~320G with Windows, and a second one of 500G where I want to
install Ubuntu.

When starting from the USB Key, the install went fine, and I selected "Other" in the installation option, to install everything on /dev/sdb, creating the swap and the rest of the disk as ext4. When selecting the device where to install the bootloader, I selected /dev/sda. Windows 8.1 was installed on /dev/sda.

Everything goes fine until the very end, when isntalling the bootloader. I get an error message saying that it cannot write the bootloader. None of the three options worked, actually. The first was to retry on another disk/partition, the second was to install no bootloader whatsoever, and the third was to cancel the install. BUT NO OPTION ACTUALLY WORKED. They all came back to the same error message.

Reboot from the USB key, and try to manually run grub-install /dev/sda. Also get an error message.

Anyone has an idea what I did wrong ? I set the motherboard to be in Legacy mode. This is a recent ASUS motherboard, on a Intel Core i3 system.

Thanks :-)

Jean-Francois Messier