Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Algonquin Wi-Fi

> > Quoting Scott McClare <mcclare [ at ] ncf [ dot ] ca>:
> > > Hi all. Will there be any current Algonquin students attending tonight's
> > > meeting? I'm a new student and I have a laptop I'd like to dual boot
> > > (Windows/Kubuntu), but while Windows 10 connects to the campus Wi-Fi
> > > effortlessly, I haven't had any success on the Kubuntu side.
> > >
> > > If someone else has done this successfully, I'd love to know how.

Here. I forget everything off the top of my head because I use
autocompletion, but I use wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli (or wpa_gui)
directly, so I don't have tools lie to me.

Honestly, I usually care so little for the user case of desktop
environments that put three layers of molasses on top of just the
unadulterated tools that I haven't bothered to figure the molasses out.

> On Jan 14, 2016, at 4:33 PM, jf [ at ] messier [ dot ] ca wrote:
> > I will bring my WiFi access point tonight, so you can connect using
> > *buntu. But I suspect that the student's WiFi works only with Windows, a
> > little bit like OttawaU.

You sure about that? Is it just a EAP-PEAP network with MSCHAPv2 inner
auth? That's what Carleton has, and I can make it work trivially.

I'm pretty darn sure wpa_supplicant supports more than any other out
there. Are you using a wrapper GUI?

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 04:52:52PM -0500, Murphy Scott wrote:
> The WiFi does work, I managed to use it for at least two meeting
> nights. I’m not sure if there is a limit to how many can access it at
> a time or if it was early in the new semester and it was not available
> the first night we used Algonquin.
>
> I know Alex has managed to get connectivity from Linux and I think
> John did last month as well.

Great excuse fro a hostapd BoF.

message navigation