Re: [OCLUG-Tech] i suspect it's unlikely, but has anyone here taken docker courses?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] i suspect it's unlikely, but has anyone here taken docker courses?
  • From: Jonathan Wexler <jonathanwexler [ at ] live [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 08:38:48 -0400
I have been using Docker to host Wordpress instances for clients for about 6 months, and am a huge fan of Docker.
I am self taught, using the few resources available.
I would suggest that a basic refresher of important Linux concepts, as well as an overview of traditional virtualization could help the user, before diving into Docker.
And then a clear overview of how Docker works, with good illustrations.
Also a note: while I have managed to get Docker running locally on Windows with Boot2Docker, I find both this, and running it locally on Ubuntu, quite complex.
I have had the best luck - where it runs almost seemlessly, using DigitalOcean, where I easily transfer my droplets back and forth from DigitalOcean to Docker Hub - so you might build a couple of lessons around where best to host Docker containers/workflow/etc...
Lastly, I had to put in significant time to learning the best Docker commands, understanding how ports work within containers etc, but it has been time well spent as far as I am concerned.
- Jonathan Wexler