Re: [OCLUG-Tech] books

From: "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier [ at ] digitaltorque [ dot ] ca> To: Bill Strosberg <oclug [ at ] strosberg [ dot ] com> Cc: linux [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] books Message-ID: <20131213180900 [ dot ] GH4339 [ at ] digitaltorque [ dot ] ca> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" On 13/12/13 Bill Strosberg said:
Don't get me wrong, I love books. But, consider this:

- ebooks from O'Reilly are available in any format I care about
     - epub is just zipped html and css, it doesn't get any more portable
- books on computer topics age far more quickly than other topics, and are
   soon uselessly out-of-date, with some exceptions
- ebooks from O'Reilly, when updated, are available for download of the
   updated version for free if you bought an older copy
- ebooks from O'Reilly have no DRM attached to them
- I use two monitors at work and home, and combined with Dropbox, I have my
   library with me when I need it (ie. when I'm using a computer)
- dead trees are damn heavy
- dead trees are environmentally unfriendly
- dead trees don't change font size when I would like it
The OP RDay asked if we value books. A recent Eng grad from Carleton (Electrical, Electronics and Communications Engineering) told me that he never read a book. This is a big change since I was in university.