Re: [OCLUG-Tech] safety level of upgrading ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] safety level of upgrading ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04?
  • From: Mike <ba600 [ at ] ncf [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:08:37 -0400
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 08:48:50 AM Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Rick wrote:
> > I always log in at run level 3, usually to start X.  (startxfce4)
> >
> > On my home puter, I have to recompile an nvidea module every time I
> > upgrade the kernel.  It seems likely that an Ubuntu upgrade would replace
> > your kernel.
> >
> > That might be what your elusive screen is telling you, and it might not.
> >
> > Can't give you my notes on it, they are at home, I'm not.
> >
> > Tail dmesg right after it happens, look at /var/log/Xorg*
>
>   weirdly, i can now log in graphically as long as i *don't* specify a
> password. i'll track this down but, for now, i'll just get back to
> work. how strange.

I just finished an upgrade to my SuSE box and it broke grub, several modules
including ext3 and video,  My Laptop is now reminding me that 13.04 is waiting
I think I'll hold off a bit I start another adventure.  And  I now have a
Wheezy box to play with that I used to repair the SuSE machine.

 What do people do that only have 1 machine, or does such a person exist
anymore.

--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600