Re: [OCLUG-Tech] safety level of upgrading ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04?

I always log in at run level 3, usually to start X.  (startxfce4)

On my home puter, I have to recompile an nvidea module every time I upgrade
the kernel.  It seems likely that an Ubuntu upgrade would replace your
kernel.

That might be what your elusive screen is telling you, and it might not.

Can't give you my notes on it, they are at home, I'm not.

Tail dmesg right after it happens, look at /var/log/Xorg*