Re: [OCLUG-Tech] safety level of upgrading ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] safety level of upgrading ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 08:39:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Sep 2013, Jean-François Bilodeau wrote:
>
> > I'm running Mint here, which is an Ubuntu derivative, and performed not
> > one, not two but five dist-upgrade of the same installation. Some were
> > smoother than others, but for the most part, they worked.
> >
> > The same harddisk (and the installating) has been in four different
> > physical system (including a MacBook Pro), and worked out of the
> > box--first boot--everytime. I love Linux. :D
>
>   well, i did the release upgrade, it seemed to go smoothly, i
> rebooted, got the GNOME login screen with "13.04" at the bottom, but
> ... every time i try to log in, i get a brief text screen so quickly i
> can't read it, then i get dumped back to the login screen.
>
>   i have no problem logging in on a text console, and everything there
> seems to work fine -- that's what i'm logged in on right now, so
> networking clearly works, e-mail works, everything seems fine, except
> for trying to log in to the graphical desktop.
>
>   this laptop has an nvidia graphics card, and i'm using the nouveau
> kernel module, which is what i was using before, so i'm not sure it's
> a graphics driver issue. not sure what log file i want to check for
> diagnostics, so i'm open to suggestions.
>
>   i'm sure it's something simple since the graphical login screen
> comes up nicely, it's just the graphical login process itself that
> somehow fails and dumps me back to the login.

  well, this is interesting ... i started tailing the
/var/log/auth.log file to see what happened there, then tried to log
in graphically again, and got (among other things):

Sep 19 08:34:33 oneiric lightdm: pam_ck_connector(lightdm-greeter:session): nox11 mode, ignoring PAM_TTY :0
Sep 19 08:34:34 oneiric lightdm: pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "rpjday"
Sep 19 08:34:34 oneiric lightdm: pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "rpjday"

i have no idea what that "requirement" represents, and my account most
certainly has a password, if that's what that diagnostic is trying to
tell me. anyone run across this before?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca