Re: [OCLUG-Tech] safety level of upgrading ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04?

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Jean-François Bilodeau <
jfbilodeau [ at ] chronogears [ dot ] com> wrote:

> On 13-09-19 08:48 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Rick wrote:
>>
>>  I always log in at run level 3, usually to start X.  (startxfce4)
>>>
>>> On my home puter, I have to recompile an nvidea module every time I
>>> upgrade the kernel.  It seems
>>> likely that an Ubuntu upgrade would replace your kernel.
>>>
>>> That might be what your elusive screen is telling you, and it might not.
>>>
>>> Can't give you my notes on it, they are at home, I'm not.
>>>
>>> Tail dmesg right after it happens, look at /var/log/Xorg*
>>>
>>    weirdly, i can now log in graphically as long as i *don't* specify a
>> password. i'll track this down but, for now, i'll just get back to
>> work. how strange.
>>
>> rday
>>
>>  The message <<requirement "user ingroup *nopasswdlogin*" not met by user
> "rpjday">> Kind of hints that you should be in a group that uses no
> password.
>
> I don't know if it's related, but I notice that Mint changed /etc/sudoers
> so that I'm no longer prompted for my password when doing administrative
> tasks. I'm not sure I'm liking this.

In /etc/sudoers I have a line...

rick    ALL=(ALL)     NOPASSWD: ALL

Some of my systems seem to still require a passwd even if that is there,
which is fine.
You could check your sudoers file to see if you have the same config, take
out NOPASSWD if it helps you sleep.