Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Use of USB wifi adapter for an AP on a custom router

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Use of USB wifi adapter for an AP on a custom router
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:02:17 -0400
On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 10:24:10PM -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> >  Has anyone tried making their
> > own wireless AP in such a manner before? Has anyone ever had issues with
> > it, other than the usual issues that Wi-Fi has (like latency).
>
> I am using two USB wifi adapters to turn an old laptop into an AP. Hostapd
> and the USB devices have been working without issue. (Apart from the usual
> WiFi problems.) My only complaint is that I am not sure if 802.11N is
> working. I am using two ALFA AWUS050NH. (Ralink RT2770) One is on 2.4GHz,
> the other on 5GHz. I had a similar setup with a low powered ARM based
> Guruplug. The USB adapters worked fine but I needed a powered hub. If you
> have problems with the Soekris add a powered USB hub before you go too
> crazy trying to get it to work.

I was having some very strange bandwidth issues with my ISP a couple of
years ago, so I swapped out my WRT54GL running OpenWRT for an x86_64
machine running Debian with a PCI 802.11b card so I could use standard
tools I knew well to monitor and filter certain types of traffic easily,
quickly and reliably.  It helped a huge amount.  I was running hostapd.

I'm now ready to go back to an embedded device and will use a Netgear
WNDR3800 running CeroWRT.

> sg

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!