[OCLUG-Tech] Issue with update manager

I've been having an issue with one of my machines that is running Linux Mint Olivia, which is based on Ubuntu Raring (13.04). The apt-get update equivalent (or that run in a terminal) gives failures with

Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/raring-security/main/

and related to following strings.

http://security.ubuntu.com raring-security Release.gpg

This causes update to fail.

There are many (misleading) posts about things to do on the net, none of which have worked for me. I think the gpg signatures might be the issue, and I'm tempted to simply delete them from the /etc/apt/ area, which in 13.04 is no longer set up with apt.conf but has a directory apt.conf.d that is much more complex to sort out.

Anyone with experience of this problem?

JN