Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Use of USB wifi adapter for an AP on a custom router

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Use of USB wifi adapter for an AP on a custom router
  • From: Stephen Gregory <oclug [ at ] kernelpanic [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 22:24:10 -0400
On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca> wrote:

>  Has anyone tried making their
> own wireless AP in such a manner before? Has anyone ever had issues with
> it, other than the usual issues that Wi-Fi has (like latency).

I am using two USB wifi adapters to turn an old laptop into an AP. Hostapd
and the USB devices have been working without issue. (Apart from the usual
WiFi problems.) My only complaint is that I am not sure if 802.11N is
working. I am using two ALFA AWUS050NH. (Ralink RT2770) One is on 2.4GHz,
the other on 5GHz. I had a similar setup with a low powered ARM based
Guruplug. The USB adapters worked fine but I needed a powered hub. If you
have problems with the Soekris add a powered USB hub before you go too
crazy trying to get it to work.

--
sg