Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Virtual Presence Meetings using Open Source technology

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Virtual Presence Meetings using Open Source technology
  • From: Greg <sphex [ at ] sympatico [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:14:05 +0000
Some years ago a person asked me, "Can you show us how to keep our
website attractive and uptodate?".  I said, "Find somebody who wants to
do it.".

That is my specific reaction to several mentions of video recording.
However, it applies to almost everything oclug does.  In other words,
oclug should change its perspective from doing, or proposing (or
begging), to allowing.

If somebody wants to record meetings, let them.  Make it physically
possible.  Help them clamp their mike to the podium.  Set up a YouTube
site, or whatever.  Or, if somebody wants to post a list of videos, give
them a page on the oclug website.

If somebody wants to hand out ubuntu at libraries or community centres,
let them call themselves oclug.  And store some bumph on the website.

All of the public library branches I visit periodically host workshops
of m$ products.  Maybe there should be scattered small oclug(tm) teams
who preach and install linux.  Even bsd.. why not.

Since the oclug meeting moved out of my neighbourhood, I stopped going.
 OCTranspo is a lot better now but still not good enough.  But why do
wwe insist on gathering 150 people scattered among the 3/4million spread
over the huge Ottawa-Carleton area?  Why not a dozen meetings of a dozen
people?  Supplemented with videos, virtuals, ircs, blogs, odd people
flitting from meeting to meeting as interests them, odd mass gatherings.

Whatever oclug does, it won't be done, unless somebodies want to do.
So, if there are people out there, if you are wanting to do something,
maybe you should gather a few friends and do it in your neighbourhood.
School, library, community centre, coffee shop, park, or basement.
Print up some pages with oclug's url on it and pass them around.

The Board can herd the cats and attempt to control who gets a webpage.

Greg