[OCLUG-Tech] Virtual Presence Meetings using Open Source technology

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Virtual Presence Meetings using Open Source technology
  • From: Bill Strosberg <oclug [ at ] strosberg [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:55:50 -0400
Further to my "I wonder" comments about the club future and how we meet, what IS the state of things out there? Has anyone delved into larger scale virtual meeting presence? I use telephone conference calls frequently, Skype on a small infrequent scale and have dabbled in Asterisk a little. Cisco does a good commercial job of packaging this for commercial use, but what about open source options?

From an open source perspective, here we have a distributed application where clients could do a lot of data reduction processing to minimise traffic. Participant's client computing resources could make the load do-able. Kind of like IRC with optional video and audio elements. Generating a centrally available post-event "presentation" would be interesting. It seems all the pieces may be available but arranging the parts collectively would be a challenge if it doesn't already exist.

Thoughts?

--
Bill Strosberg