Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Virtual Presence Meetings using Open Source technology

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Virtual Presence Meetings using Open Source technology
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:28:27 -0400
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 05:22:33PM -0400, John C Nash wrote:
> I think that we should be considering "online" options. I doubt (maybe this is personal
> bias) that it will be popular as a full-time alternative, but I support exploring the
> options and trying it out, as I can see how it could fill a void.

For some time I think Bart was video recording meeting talks and posting
them online...  I think this was a worthwhile endeavour even though I
never used the service myself.

> JN
>
> On 03/22/2012 12:55 PM, Bill Strosberg wrote:
> > Further to my "I wonder" comments about the club future and how we meet,
> > what IS the state of things out there?  Has anyone delved into larger
> > scale virtual meeting presence?  I use telephone conference calls
> > frequently, Skype on a small infrequent scale and have dabbled in
> > Asterisk a little.  Cisco does a good commercial job of packaging this
> > for commercial use, but what about open source options?
> >
> >  From an open source perspective, here we have a distributed application
> > where clients could do a lot of data reduction processing to minimise
> > traffic.  Participant's client computing resources could make the load
> > do-able.  Kind of like IRC with optional video and audio elements.
> > Generating a centrally available post-event "presentation" would be
> > interesting.  It seems all the pieces may be available but arranging the
> > parts collectively would be a challenge if it doesn't already exist.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > --
> > Bill Strosberg

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!