Re: [OCLUG-Tech] OCLUG AGM - discussing change

Wow, this discussion eggsploded. I was going to respond to a whole bunch of
the posts but I decided to start with one post. It's not a very refined
post as it's basically the core dump that I would have used to create all
my responses. Probably less work for everyone to just see the coredump:

///////////begin core

There are different purposes the group can have. I'm not sure how many are
interested in these two but they could be a core of a group.

Purpose A: Help the general public discover and use linux to solve their
problems
Purpose B: Help each other advance knowledge.

It's the undiscovered people that matter the most. Not just members.

Don't think the group is "owned" by and is to serve members. If you think
it's to serve the general public and it's members, it will work better.

If it's function is nostalgia for current members then it won't survive or
make a difference in the world. Without "Purpose A" above, a group can't
sustain.

Meetings can have rotating venues. Downtown is better as it's better for
access by the most people but rotating venues can support a wider area. A
single-venue, consensus-based group is so 90's (check calanedar).

Every person doesn't have to go to every meeting.

I'm not convinced a board or formal management is a benefit. We just need
someopen communication methods so people in the group can organize whatever
they want.

Everybody doesn't have to agree to everything. For instance a bunch of
people should be able to orgnaize a meetup or presentation and all those
that disagree simply don't make it out. They don't have to block it.

Organic is okay. You can't engineer a community.

There needs to be an online component. But this isn't a replacement for
face to face activities. (The group and members could have blogs and other
sharing systems such as youtube and other means of sharing meeting
content).

Listservs and Google Groups are cool.

///////////end core

--
Darcy Whyte
*Inventor, Artist, darcy [ at ] siteware [ dot ] com*

rubber-power.com <http://www.rubber-power.com> Squirrel Rubber Band Plane
mambohead.com <http://www.mambohead.com/> Art+ incandescent.ca Energy
generalSocial.com <http://www.generalsocial.com/> Social Network Theory
siteware.com <http://www.siteware.com/>: Software Service Since '88
endlessLift.com <http://www.endlesslift.com/> Aviation Art | Canada | N 45°
25'03.1" W 75° 42'21.4" | 613-563-3634 (by appointment)

Please don't send messages with a blank subject. Reply using same subject
unless it's a different topic.