From: linux-bounces [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca [mailto:linux-bounces [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca] On Behalf Of Brenda J. Butler
Sent: January-01-12 12:09 PM
To: linux
Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] need help solving an issue with my network

Do the machines with DNS problems get their IP addresses via
DHCP?  Do they get their nameserver info from DHCP as well?

If so, is DHCP still working?  DHCP-assigned addesses have
to be renewed via leases.

Maybe the kids machines/phones DHCP leases expired before
the other leases ...

Have you done an upgrade lately?  Changes to the firewall?

You can use the dig command to direct DNS queries to a particular
DNS server:

    dig @server.to.query domain.to.ask.about
    dig @server.to.query domain.to.ask.about NS

Hope this helps - do send more questions if you have them.

bjb