Re: [OCLUG-Tech] need help solving an issue with my network

On 12-01-01 11:55 AM, ed stuckems wrote:
Folks:

This may be slightly off-topic, so I hope you'll consider this request
for help appropriate for this list.

My home network is suddenly misbehaving and after poking around a bit
I'm at a loss to explain why things aren't working and I can't seem to
fix the problem.  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the problem ... My kids' computers recently stopped serving web
pages.  After poking around a bit, it appears that dns requests from
their machines aren't being resolved.  Poking around more, I've
discovered that the game consoles and the android based phone aren't
working either and I suspect it's for the same reasons.  The phone
worked on the wifi network as recently as last week.  However, there
are machines on the network that are working!   My linux box, mac book
pro (running Mac OSX), iPad, and Windows Vista computers are all
working.

All the machines are able to access internal machines/servers/services
via ip address (I'm not using dns for internal servers) and everything
internal can be pinged and is able to ping (most) everything else.  On
those machines that aren't working, nslookup is not able to resolve
host names and nslookup returns stating that the dns server(s) timed
out.

There are 2 dns servers provided to clients on the network: the
caching server on the router, and the dns server provided by my
service provider.  nslookup reports time outs for both servers.

I'm at a loss to explain what's happening and any advice or guidance
for correcting the issue would be greatly appreciated.

regards
eds.