Re: [OCLUG-Tech] need help solving an issue with my network

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] need help solving an issue with my network
  • From: "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb [ at ] sourcerer [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 12:09:06 -0500

Do the machines with DNS problems get their IP addresses via
DHCP?  Do they get their nameserver info from DHCP as well?

If so, is DHCP still working?  DHCP-assigned addesses have
to be renewed via leases.

Maybe the kids machines/phones DHCP leases expired before
the other leases ...

Have you done an upgrade lately?  Changes to the firewall?

You can use the dig command to direct DNS queries to a particular
DNS server:

    dig @server.to.query domain.to.ask.about
    dig @server.to.query domain.to.ask.about NS

Hope this helps - do send more questions if you have them.

bjb