Re: [OCLUG-Tech] SECURITY ALERT: Phishing Attack (Fwd: Email Security Upgrade)

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] SECURITY ALERT: Phishing Attack (Fwd: Email Security Upgrade)
  • From: Charles MacDonald <cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 22:25:00 -0400

Yes, I'm trying to determine if a notice I got from GOC (paper, via
postal mail) is valid ... it looks real, but the person and phone
number are not in GEDS (Government Electronic Directory Service).
Gut feel is that it's real, but how on earth can I verify without
using the phone numbers on the letter?

Try contacting the Public number for the agency. The operator should have access to the internal Phone list, and can tell you if the number is valid.

I don't know how it is dine these days but when I was working, the internal directory had a check box to publish your name, and it was dumped to GEDS about once a month.

--
Charles MacDonald                 Stittsville Ontario
cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca              Just Beyond the Fringe