Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Distro Recommendations

Hi,

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:48:41AM -0400, Shawn H Corey wrote:
> On 11-05-10 10:43 AM, Tim Inkpen wrote:
> > Unless I'm missing something, Mint does not come with the version of Perl that you are looking for, at least according to this matrix:
> > http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
> >

> No distro I know of comes with Perl 5.12. I'll have to load it myself.

debian sid does.  So all debian derivatives can install from the sid repo.

http://packages.debian.org/sid/perl
5.12.3-6 for most archs.
5.10.??  for alpha and few others

But I agree, building and installing from source is probably your best bet.  Heck install it to /usr/local or /opt or wherever and add symlinks to your ~/bin.  This will keep the distro happy with it's stable version of perl.

-Phil