Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone out there using a production publishing toolchain?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone out there using a production publishing toolchain?
  • From: Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:43:06 +0000
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net> wrote:
>> My recommendation would be Latex hands down.
>
> It sounds like Docbook and Latex would be two great meeting tutorial
> topics.  I've just started diving into Latex and am impressed by the
> output.  I'd like to learn a bit more about the structure of the Latex
> macro grammar so I can understand a bit better what is going on in some
> of the style sheets.

Totally agree on the topic of a meeting or tutorial.

The Pro Git book, published by Apress, is actually written in markdown
with SVGs used for diagrams.

https://github.com/progit/progit

I agree that there is no better tool than Latex for a Math book... but
it's not the best tool for all types of typesetting.  For one, just
try to do multi-page tables in Latex, and you'll find you're wasting a
lot of time.

-Bart