Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone out there using a production publishing toolchain?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone out there using a production publishing toolchain?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:52:47 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Prof. John C Nash wrote:

> I recently completed a 313 page book using Latex. The learning cost
> is heavy, but the rewards are too.
>
> Latex is also used by a lot of technical / scientific publishers.
> I've a paper in process at the moment. Style sheet supplied.
> Bibliographic support is strong, but again needs learning.
>
> There are also recent developments in what is termed "reproducible
> research" to allow code to be embedded in Latex. We use this to
> write articles where the statistics (procedures and data) may
> change. Running special scripts in Sweave and ODFweave allow latex
> and/or OpenOffice docs to be processed to finished pdf. There are
> apparently other initiatives like this, but they suggest a useful
> way to incorporate code and data into documents that avoid copy and
> paste errors.

  if what i was writing involved mathematics in any way, latex would
be my first choice.  but there won't be so i'm not going down that
road.  i'll stick with something based on docbook, i just want to know
who is doing that sort of thing on a *production* basis, and how it's
working out for them.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca