[OCLUG-Tech] anyone out there using a production publishing toolchain?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone out there using a production publishing toolchain?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 07:08:34 -0500 (EST)
  is anyone out there using a (preferably xml/docbook-based)
publishing toolchain for publishing books, manuals or courseware that
runs on Linux?

  i've got a number of old courses, and more i want to write, and i
want to update my publishing toolchain.  that i want to use some form
of xml/docbook is pretty much a no-brainer since that will give me the
most flexibility in terms of output rendering, but there are a number
of choices even there, so i was wondering if anyone on this list is
using some type of toolchain like that for regular production use at
their place.

  the first option is to use straight docbook, which will definitely
work but is kind of verbose since you typically need to type in those
overly long tags.

  one variation on that is that, way back when, i wrote a pre-docbook
processing step that used an XSLT processor (xsltproc) that let me add
a bunch of specific shorter tags (like <p> -> <para> and so on), then
i ran *my* original content through what's called an "identity
transform" that simply replaced my shortcuts with the proper docbook
tags.  (and, no, it's not as simple as you think.)  so that gave me
the ability to use proper docbook but save a lot of typing by sneaking
in my handy little transform at the beginning.

  yet another option is publican -- https://fedorahosted.org/publican/
-- which is a packaged docbook/xml toolchain that lets you do neat
things like branding your documents.  so it hides a lot of the grunt
work.  i'm just checking it out, and if anyone else is using it, i'd
be interested in knowing what you think of it.

  the final option that i just ran across is "slacker's docbook,"
http://slackerdoc.tigris.org/.  i found this only because i just
finished pre-pub reviewing the next edition of this book:

http://www.amazon.ca/Introduction-Design-Patterns-Qt/dp/0131879057/

and noticed that the authors stated they'd written the whole thing
using that reduced form of docbook, which conveniently adds a whole
bunch of time-saving features that are normally a bit of a pain with
regular docbook.  so that's now an option as well.

  so ... any opinions?

rday

p.s.  i could almost make a talk out of this, couldn't i?  :-)

                        http://crashcourse.ca