Re: [OCLUG-Tech] [OT?] anyone out there using C++/Qt for production work?

2011/2/14 Robert P. J. Day <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Rafael Roquetto wrote:
>
> > The question is: what do you mean by "serious" production work? Qt
> > is proven technology that has been pretty much everywhere. Adobe
> > uses Qt. Skype uses Qt. Many embedded systems do use Qt. QNX has
> > outdated their Neutrino toolkit in favor of Qt. KDE has been using
> > Qt for ages.
> >
> > I would say that the most immediate advantage is, like every other
> > framework, it will save a bunch of hardwork.
> >
> > I  think drawbacks can be relative. I can't think of anything right
> > now, but since Qt targets a very very broad and wide audience, I
> > think it really depends on what you're working with. It's very hard
> > to judge from a general standpoint imho.
>
>   it was, admittedly, a broad and nebulous question.  i was just
> wondering if there were any obvious drawbacks in incorporating Qt into
> enterprise-wide coding projects.  i don't see any off-hand, but
> someone who's been working with it would obviously know better.

I don't really see any drawbacks. I work for KDAB (www.kdab.com), a Qt
consulting company. We have several projects going on, from embedded
software to a suite of data analysis tool for a big famous oil corporation.
In general, I can't really think of any particular and recurrent drawbacks.
I think the most challenging thing has been fine-tailoring Qt applications
for some embedded environment. The new trend in Qt world is using
QGraphicsView framework (and QML) to implement multi-touch animated UIs. In
some extreme cases (again, not the rule), where the hardware resources were
very limited, we had to do a lot of optimization on Qt source code in order
to reach a decent performance. I know this happened more than once, but
again it was a very unusual embedded environment.
Even though QML sounds promising, I think it has a lot to catch up. It has
been improving at a very fast pace, though.
Here's an example of a port we did, using QML:
http://dot.kde.org/2010/06/10/kde-pim-goes-mobile <- it involved lots of
fine tuning, specially when the underlying OS was Windows CE. But  in the
end the results made people pretty happy.

So the bottom line is (in my opinion, of course): for 95% of the cases, this
including Desktop development, Qt can be very suitable and perform great.
For some embedded or exotic platforms, it may require some fine tuning, but
I guess that might happen to every piece of software.