Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Questions about a Linux file server I am about to build.

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Questions about a Linux file server I am about to build.
  • From: Jorge Luis Diaz Flores <jldflores [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 12:02:52 -0400
Hi there

I would like to share some thoughts.

I can't avoid to think in the average use of a home file server and ask
myself if in most cases is not the network&protocol (wireless, SMB)the
source of the bottleneck.

Are the 1900$ just for the  mobo,cpu,mem & ps ?

why not use software raid instead of a hardware controller?

have you think in a more economical solution like atom base? SuperMicro
have also motherboards based in atom processors. of course if you really
are thinking to use the machine also for hardware-assisted
virtualization this is not an option.

which is the average percentage of processor utilization in the actual
servers?

have you consider and AMD based configuration? the AMD Opteron 4100
Series start at 99$
http://www.amd.com/us/products/pricing/Pages/server-opteron.aspx