Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Questions about a Linux file server I am about to build.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Peter Sjoberg <peters-oclug [ at ] techwiz [ dot ] ca>wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 14:48 -0400, Charles Nadeau wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >         With that said, what's your budget?
> > I would like to stay below 2000$.
> I think my system landed <$800 but that was just mobo,cpu,mem & ps, the
> rest (disk, case, dvd) I had since before.

I reworked my set-up yesterday, and I  think I can do it for a but below
1900$

> >         > Here are my questions:
> >         > • Is SATA III really worth the price difference knowing that
> >         my server will
> >         > serve at most 3 clients and that I will run RAID 5 or 6?
> >         Right now I am not
> >         > focusing on absolute speed but on stability and
> >         responsiveness.
> >
> >         My thinking is no. Reson is that while SATA III gives you a
> >         6BIt/s bus
> >         speed you're still limited by the disk speed. Even if you put
> >         in SDDs
> > IF I use a SSD, it will be for the boot drive and even for this, I am
> > not sure if I will. I am using a Seagate Momentus XT in one of my
> > Ubuntu laptop and it's fast enough for me!
> I seen this "put OS on SSD" but on a somewhat static system like a file

The momentus XT isn't really an SSD disk. It is a 500GB 2.5" disk that
includes a 4GB SSD on-board that acts as a permanent "cache" for the disk.
It persists from boot to boot. It only caches the most accessed files. I
found out it helps while loading frequently used programs (Firefox,
OpenOffice, etc.) on my Ubuntu laptop.

Charles

<snip>

--