Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Questions about a Linux file server I am about to build.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Peter Sjoberg <peters-oclug [ at ] techwiz [ dot ] ca>wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 12:51 -0400, Charles Nadeau wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am looking to replace my 5 years old file server (based on a AMD Duron
> > 2800) with something more powerful and I’d like to pick the brains of
> fellow
> > Linux user on this mailing list regarding a few questions I have.
> > I haven't completely decided what I will build but I am leaning toward an
> > AMD-based solution because SATA III on the SB850 chipset seems to be
> > integrated more tightly than the Marvell one the Intel platform. Nothing
> is
> > set in stone yet. I will use either Ubuntu Server or Gentoo as my
> > distribution.
> >
> > My requirements are:
> > • Need to work reliably 24/7 with a minimum of maintenance.
> > • Need 8TB of storage (to be expanded in the future using an additional
> PCIe
> > SATA controller) to be exported using NFS and Samba (for my wife XP
> > laptops). I will use RAID 5 or 6.
> > • Support for my 2 SCSI cards in PCI slots to support my tape libraries
> > (using Bacula).
> > • I may also use the machine to run a few virtual machines for testing.
> > (using VirtualBox)
> You forgot one requirement, should be reasonable price for home use.
> With that said, what's your budget?

I would like to stay below 2000$.

> > Here are my questions:
> > • Is SATA III really worth the price difference knowing that my server
> will
> > serve at most 3 clients and that I will run RAID 5 or 6? Right now I am
> not
> > focusing on absolute speed but on stability and responsiveness.
> My thinking is no. Reson is that while SATA III gives you a 6BIt/s bus
> speed you're still limited by the disk speed. Even if you put in SDDs

IF I use a SSD, it will be for the boot drive and even for this, I am not
sure if I will. I am using a Seagate Momentus XT in one of my Ubuntu laptop
and it's fast enough for me!

> (8T radi5 SDD - guess you need to sell your house for that :) you may
> pass SATA II but then we hit other limits like io bus and cpue + yhe
> output is at best Gbit network so what would you do with so much disk
> speed.
> If you plan on putting up port splitters or so then it might be worth
> it.
>
> > • Has anybody used “Green” drives (Samsung, WD, Seagate) with Linux
> software
> > RAID? I read that “Green” drives in RAID may be problematic because the
> TLER
> > delay is too short. The RAID may mistakenly consider a drive to have
> failed
> > and kick it out of the array.
> I have a 1.5T WD one mirrored with a normal seagate one and found it to
> be very slow. I have it on a server running kvm and when the different
> guests hit different parts of the disk it really hurts. It can easily be
> seen with iostat, seagate lode is 60% while wd is 100%.

All my disks will be identical so I do not think this will be a problem.

> > • Does anybody know a Linux-friendly PCIe SATA controller that is NOT
> > RAID-enabled?
> SY-PEX40008, a 4 port PCI express card is what I use. It is announced as
> raid but I use it as a 4 port sata controller.
> When looking for sata controllers, don't forget the bus speed. For
> example a 4port sata II will overload PCIe x1 and when using a raid

Agreed!

> config you then wonder why you don't get the full speed of the disk.
>

> <snip>
> > • How much RAM should I get for a file server like the one I am building?
> > Will more RAM means more cache and better performance or with a small
> number
> > of clients it doesn’t really matter? Is ECC-RAM really important in my
> > situation?
> More ram is almost always better and when you run a few virtual guests
> you run out of ram fast. ECC-RAM importance - depends on how important
> your data/system is but it will cost you extra all the way from cpu (you
> need Xeon or Opteron)  and mobo to ram.
>
> > • Is the number of cores really important for a file server? If I am to
> go
> > with AMD, I am leaning toward either the Phenom X6 1055T or the Phenom X4
> > 945. Are these overkill for a file server? I will not overclock my
> > processor.
> You did mention virtual guests and then core count is good.
> If you stick with file server 2 cores should be enough and put your
> money on the ram.
>

> Since my home system is more of a virtual host then a file server (but
> one of the guests is a fileserver) I need more ram. Going with AMD I hit
> a limit on the consumer side, mobos have only 4 sticks or a 4x pricetag.
> Because of that I did go with Intel i7 920 since with the tribus I then
> get 6 sticks.
> My mobo is MSI MS-7522 and it has both PCI and PCIe slots (I may have a
> dual port scsi HVD for you to cut down the card count). Loaded it up

You already gave me 3 dual ports HVD card! ;-)

> with 6x2G=12G ram (4G sticks where >$1000 each!) and besides my green WD
> disk that system works fine.

Knowing that SATA 3 isn't that much worth it and that more ram is better, I
guess then I'll have to look more seriously at the Supermicro X8SAX
motherboard with an i7 processor. I'll also have to rework a bit my cost
structure.

Thanks!

Charles

--