Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Questions about a Linux file server I am about to build.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Brett Delmage
<brett [ at ] twobikes [ dot ] ottawa [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca>wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Charles Nadeau wrote:
>
> Here are my questions:
>> • Is SATA III really worth the price difference knowing that my server
>> will
>> serve at most 3 clients and that I will run RAID 5 or 6? Right now I am
>> not
>> focusing on absolute speed but on stability and responsiveness.
>>

> Except for Flash drives, I have not seen any online info that indicates
> that spinning drives are fast enough for SATA III. i.e. no harm, but don't
> waste money.

This is what I was thinking, thanks for confirming it.

> You might want to know if your chipset/mobo has the actual bandwidth behind
> the bus to be able to fully utilize it. Apparently not always...

AMD's SB850 is better than the Marvell solution for this.

> • Has anybody used “Green” drives (Samsung, WD, Seagate) with Linux
>> software
>>
>> RAID? I read that “Green” drives in RAID may be problematic because the
>> TLER
>> delay is too short. The RAID may mistakenly consider a drive to have
>> failed
>> and kick it out of the array.
>>

> Been using two WD green drives, soft RAID 1, on my ubuntu 9.10 (I think)
> mythtv box, since Jan. No observed issues, and I have monitored the SMART
> stats for any of those reported issues, like unload cycles. I have not seen
> the drive rebuilding much, except due to power failures or hard shutdown
> errors, and not even always then. yay for md 'write intent' bitmaps!
>
> I have also read and believe that there CAN be an issue. I just have not
> encountered it myself, yet.
>
> If you are worried about speed at all though, why use a slower drive?

I am not worried that much by speed of the individual disks as I'll RAID
them. I was looking at the green drive mostly to reduce electrical
comsumption and save a few $

> Don't get me wrong, I use a combination of many 'regular' and green drives
> - for many of my purposes green drives are fast enough and I'd rather have 2
> (RAID 1) x 2 TB + 1 backup drive at a good price..
>
> I've mostly tended to go with WD Caviar blacks because the 5 year warranty
> makes me feel more confident, and Seagate pissed me off with their firmware
> 'bricking' errors two years ago that could result in total data loss of my
> photos and video.
>
> • Does anybody know a Linux-friendly PCIe SATA controller that is NOT
>> RAID-enabled?
>>

> Heh - I've _just_ been looking for one before I saw your message! Came
> across this
>
> http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=IO-ST-PEXSATA24E
>
> and would seem to be supported by Linux. Too bad not in stock, I really
> would like it NOW... can't seem to find on in town.
>
> I haven't looked at it really closely yet, it might have flaws, like maybe
> not enough bus bandwidth for all connected drives running together?
> (infrequent in my case).

I also heard that on some LSI card you can flash the RAID Bios to put a JBOD
BIOS. I'll have to dig this deeper. This is no an immediate concern. If I
run out of space within a year, I may have to get one.

> I've been quite happy with the quality of Startech products.
>
> quick answers for now.. good luck, and keep us informed, please.

Thanks!

--
Charles Nadeau Ph.D.
http://charlesnadeau.blogspot.com/