Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Questions about a Linux file server I am about to build.

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 14:40 -0400, Charles Nadeau wrote:
> > • Does anybody know a Linux-friendly PCIe SATA controller that is NOT
> >> RAID-enabled?
> >>

> > Heh - I've _just_ been looking for one before I saw your message! Came
> > across this
> >
> > http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=IO-ST-PEXSATA24E
> >
> > and would seem to be supported by Linux. Too bad not in stock, I really
> > would like it NOW... can't seem to find on in town.
> >
> > I haven't looked at it really closely yet, it might have flaws, like maybe
> > not enough bus bandwidth for all connected drives running together?
> > (infrequent in my case).
> >
> I also heard that on some LSI card you can flash the RAID Bios to put a JBOD
> BIOS. I'll have to dig this deeper. This is no an immediate concern. If I
> run out of space within a year, I may have to get one.
When I looked for cards I did stumble over a few "6 port" cards that
where really 4 ports and it seems like this was one of them.

You have 2 internal _or_ 2 external, selectable with some jumpers (long
time since I did see jumpers on a card) plus 2 fixed internal in this
card. I did see them advertised as 6ports all over the place and had to
read the manual to see the jumper part.

The good news is that it's a x4 so bus bw should be ok.

/ps