Re: [OCLUG-Tech] [Fwd: How to buy a Laptop Best Practices]

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Robert Radziwilowicz wrote:

Hi,
uOttawa does not have any interest in promoting free/open src. software
while they have deal signed with Microsoft and IBM/Dell.

This was my gut feeling too, and of course it applies to many more businesses than uOttawa that have been bought off.

John, I wonder if there are channels to reach the same students who will see this, with a full and completely independent message, rather than playing their game.

For example, what if OCLUG ran a display ad in the Fulcrum, telling students how they could save money and improve their computing experience ("Compute freely") and remain more independent of Big Corporations, and then sending them to a web page or microsite on the OCLUG site that was prepared specifically for them with the useful info. Student newspaper ads are usually quite affordable. (When I ran against the incumbent city councillor for College Ward in the last election, I purchased an inexpensive 1/8 page ad ad in the Algonquin times. It was written to students, with the headline "Do you want another F- ?" then talked about the incumbent's environmental voting record.)

If done right, with a bit of planning (and planned controversy ;-) this could develop into a news story that provides far larger public outreach than getting a few words changed in a document that fundamentally has to cater to Micro$oft dollars. The Fulcrum will just be glad to get ad $. I don't know uOttawa that well, and there may be better channels, this is just one example. I would also suggest having uOttawa students involved in this project.

I still think your approach is worthwhile. uOttawa should not be so abusive! But it might be limited and frustrating because of the fundamental 'economic relationship' and influence here, and the audience, seekers of MBAs, may not be the best one to start outreach efforts on.

My $1 worth.

cheers,

Brett