Re: [OCLUG-Tech] [Fwd: How to buy a Laptop Best Practices]

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] [Fwd: How to buy a Laptop Best Practices]
  • From: "Robert Radziwilowicz" <rradz073 [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:27:20 -0400 (EDT)
> This came from one of the IT staff at uOttawa. I've put in my 2 cents
> that demanding file formats is one thing, but asking students to pay
> more than $200 for software when there are Free/Libre alternatives falls
> in the "not nice" column.
>
>  >You may find the document “How_to_buy_a_Laptop_Best_Practices.pdf”
>  >valuable to you and your students.
>
>  >Here’s the reference (no login necessary):
>
>  >http://doc-depot.telfer.uottawa.ca/Info/Computing/MBA_MHA_M.SC/How_to_buy_a_Laptop_Best_Practices.pdf
>
> One thing I don't know about is whether there is any open software that
> can mimic MS Access. It may be that a few of us could do a "workalike"
> to this document that lists the alternatives to M$ and the "price" i.e.,
> download location in each case.
>
> JN

Hi,
uOttawa does not have any interest in promoting free/open src. software
while they have deal signed with Microsoft and IBM/Dell.
If you pot on the top of it the very slow and often dysfunctional
support/bureaucratic system then u can see that there is no point in
counting on univ. to promote alternative solutions.
I hope that telfer students do their math (they should be able to) and
choose soft that is more cost efficient (and stable too) than Micro$oft.

BTW. I our dep (Elec. Eng / SITE) some MS spoft is provided for free to
grads.

Rob.