[OCLUG-Tech] [Fwd: How to buy a Laptop Best Practices]

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] [Fwd: How to buy a Laptop Best Practices]
  • From: "Prof. John C Nash" <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 22:48:49 -0400
This came from one of the IT staff at uOttawa. I've put in my 2 cents that demanding file formats is one thing, but asking students to pay more than $200 for software when there are Free/Libre alternatives falls in the "not nice" column.

>You may find the document “How_to_buy_a_Laptop_Best_Practices.pdf”
>valuable to you and your students.

>Here’s the reference (no login necessary):

>http://doc-depot.telfer.uottawa.ca/Info/Computing/MBA_MHA_M.SC/How_to_buy_a_Laptop_Best_Practices.pdf

One thing I don't know about is whether there is any open software that can mimic MS Access. It may be that a few of us could do a "workalike" to this document that lists the alternatives to M$ and the "price" i.e., download location in each case.

JN