Re: [OCLUG-Tech] [Fwd: How to buy a Laptop Best Practices]

Prof. John C Nash wrote:
One thing I don't know about is whether there is any open software that can mimic MS Access. It may be that a few of us could do a "workalike" to this document that lists the alternatives to M$ and the "price" i.e., download location in each case.

"MS Access", I haven't hear that for at least 10 years. Why is the business school always so far between everyone else?

I suggest OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/ It is available for all the OSes and promises access to MS Access http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/ms-access/ms-access.html I don't know if it can create an Access DB tho.

Some more FLOSS:

word processing: AbiWord http://abiword.org/

email: Thunderbird http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

db: ProgreSQL http://www.postgresql.org/

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

as it is about coding.

I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
thingy.