Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Possible dying graphics adapter

This is the only image I have run recently which gives this kind of
problem.
You said this was the only image exhibiting such problems. This is a very simple image, so I seriously doubt it's overtaxing your video card. I'd say the download was probably corrupted. You can check this by displaying the image in a viewer like GQview but reducing the size of the window. If you drag the window around, do the coloured blotches follow the window (image corruption problem), or do they stay in the same spot on the screen (video problem)? Before you suspect hardware, try clearing your browser cache and re-downloading.

Video problems related to hardware are usually flaky and intermittent and involve your whole display, not just on a specific image within it. Pixellation, flashing, or coloured stripes would affect either the whole screen (including the taskbar, menus, etc.), or random areas that have the same colour blotches no matter what is being displayed.

My background is in hardware, so I have a lot more for you if the symptoms suggest a hardware problem - but they don't seem to so far.

Hope this helps,
Lisa