Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Possible dying graphics adapter

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Brad Hudson wrote:

I note that you are running an alpha version of Ubuntu with the proprietary nvidia driver. Have you tried running it with the open source nv driver?

Brad,

Can you please suggest the easiest way to switch? I have had nothing but hassle from the nvidia driver. Or maybe it's my card dying ;-) it seems to throw a spurious interrupt every day or sometimes more frequently, that requires a complete X and applications restart to recover from. I suspect the nvidia module has to get unloaded to clear this problem. (I just tried a new nvidia driver, well see...)

What resolution are you running? Your monitor does 1920 x 1200 but the card is not really built for this high of a res. If you are running a really high resolution you should try using the DVI output instead of vga through a KVM.

I'd second this. I have yet to get clean 1600x1200 video ( at 75 Hz+) through any of several KVM switches I have tried despite their box claims to the contrary. There's often ugly ringing in the video - looks like impedance mispatches soemwhere. So I usually connect the two inputs on my monitor to the two computers (when I'm only using two) and using the KVM switch for keyboard/mouse only.

I would be suprised to see anything but a really high end KVM switch pass 1920x1200 cleanly - but am eager to hear of recomendations to the contrary from list members. I'm currently using a Trendnet TK407 with similar (poor) results to others.

cheers,

Brett