Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Possible dying graphics adapter

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:29:25 -0400, Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] net>
wrote:
> * Bruce Miller <subscribe [ at ] brmiller [ dot ] ca> [090614 15:25]:
>> I have a Dell 2405FPW wide-screen LCD monitor. It is connected to the
>> computer through a 4-port Linksys KVM switch which I have had for a
>> long time but which, to date, has not given problems.
>
> The only other thing I could suggest is to start up w/o kde and display
> the image with something like qiv.  If the problem still shows up then
> might be time to blame the hardware.

I'd suggest taking a trouble-shooting based approach first before bringing
it to the vendor.

- Remove the KVM from the path and test
- Swap for a known good video card and test

If it goes away after step two, you have (most likely) found your answer,
otherwise you will need to keep substituting.

(There is always the possibility its a combination of hardware+driver and
unless you swap it with an identical card, it could appear fixed because a
different driver is being utilized)

Cheers,
Mark