Re: [OCLUG-Tech] tutorial on Kubuntu 9.04? Funny problems. Gigabyte Built in video

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] tutorial on Kubuntu 9.04? Funny problems. Gigabyte Built in video
  • From: William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 15:45:51 -0400
Hi Charles;

On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 15:23 -0400, Charles MacDonald wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi Charles:
> >
> > On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 23:46 -0400, Charles MacDonald wrote:
> >> I have just bought a new generic computer using a Gigabyte Intel core
> >> duo board.
> >>
> >> Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L Motherboard
> >>

> > My motherboard is an Intel Gigabyte GA G31M-ES2L.  Perhaps the 'E'
> > signifies a different video card, but I don't think so.
> >
> >  ~]$ lspci | grep nVidia
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9500 GT
> > (rev a1)
> Well William, you are a least giving me some hints..
> It does look like I have intel made intel video
>
> cmacd@core2blk:~$ lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM
> Controller (rev 10)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

> xorg.conf is also a bit vague

Isn't it though!

Giving configuration like "Configured Video Device" has a user-Get-lost
M$ feel to it.  That attitude is one of the main reasons I abandoned M$
for linux.

> # Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
> # in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
> # here are ignored.
> #
>
> Section "Monitor"
>          Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>          Identifier      "Default Screen"
>          Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
>          Device          "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>          Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>          Option  "DontZap"       "True"
> EndSection

I googled 'Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express' and found several bugs
mentioned.  I didn't take it further but you might want to look.  Some
of the bugs come from Ubuntu/kbuntu users.  You may want to look on
their mailing list as well

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3