[OCLUG-Tech] tutorial on Kubuntu 9.04? Funny problems. Gigabyte Built in video

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] tutorial on Kubuntu 9.04? Funny problems. Gigabyte Built in video
  • From: Charles MacDonald <cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 23:46:19 -0400
I have just bought a new generic computer using a Gigabyte Intel core duo board.

Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L Motherboard

Since Kubuntu was released last week, I decided to use that for my initial setup

But I have been getting a few glitches..

1) Screensize. The unit is connected to my old 21 inch monitor which suggests I use 1600 X 1200 as resolution. maximum that the System settings Display applet will do is 1360X768 which gives a picture that is stretched vertically, worse, the system starts up at 1152 X 864, and jumps to the higher resolution as soon as I open the system settings.

The video is on board the Motherboard

is there any "video tuning application that I can get an idea of why the resolution is such strange values.

OH and probaly related, i Put some icons on the screen, (drag and drop from the start menu, and today they jumped in about an inch from the right hand edge. I went to move them back and they jumped in again.

The ubuntu way of offering only info that is no-technical is great- I am too old to play alpha geek, but I would like ot know what is up with this.