Re: [OCLUG-Tech] rsync xintd

On Friday 01 May 2009 10:39:22 am Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> * Bruce Harding <bruce [ at ] computerbooksforless [ dot ] com> [090501 10:22]:
> > I've read a number of howto for using rsync --daemon option in a ubuntu
> > installation.  Most call for intd or xintd, however a default ubuntu
> > install does not come with these.
>
> I think you mean xinetd, that should still be there.  Just apt-get
> install xinetd and follow the HOWTO.
>
> You may also consider using upstart (which is the new replacement for
> init).
>
> > Many of these howto are older, so I'm wondering it the method of lauching
> > rsync with the --daemo option has changed as well?
>
> A Google on this reveals that there are some issues:
>
>         http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1137719
>         https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xinetd/+bug/361169
>
> Sorry, I don't have Ubuntu, so I cannot help further.
>
> -Bart

Thanks Bart.  I'm a Gentoo user myself so the ubuntu way is a bit different
for me.  I've only started tinkering with varianats of ubuntu since I
installed CrunchBang Linux on my 901 EEEPC and here at the store we moved our
webserver from E-Smith(SME) to ubuntu server (no gui).

Well on with the work.   Again thanks for the prompt reply.

--
Bruce Harding, Member: IEEE, SPIE, IACR
Manager,