Re: [OCLUG-Tech] tutorial on Kubuntu 9.04? Funny problems. Gigabyte Built in video

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] tutorial on Kubuntu 9.04? Funny problems. Gigabyte Built in video
  • From: William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 23:56:41 -0400
Hi Charles:

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 23:46 -0400, Charles MacDonald wrote:
> I have just bought a new generic computer using a Gigabyte Intel core
> duo board.
>
> Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L Motherboard

My motherboard is an Intel Gigabyte GA G31M-ES2L.  Perhaps the 'E'
signifies a different video card, but I don't think so.

 ~]$ lspci | grep nVidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9500 GT
(rev a1)

My manual claims that the graphics controller is integrated into the
motherboard at the north bridge.  Intel uses its own graphics
controllers sometimes; other times it uses other manufacturer's
controllers.  On my board it uses the nVidia Corporation GeForce 9500 GT

At the risk of insulting you with things you already know or have
checked: lsmod will also tell you if you are running the 'nv' driver or
not; or look directly in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.