[OCLUG-Tech] RE Funny problems. Gigabyte Built in video

R RENAUD wrote:

> I"m not using Ubuntu but I've had screen resolution issues with other Linux installations. Using the common (is it standard?) display settings gui, there are 3 tabs for "settings", "hardware" and (maybe) "dual head". > The maximum resolution on the "settings" tab might go as high as you want but if you select the "hardware" tab and tell it your monitor is capable of 1600x1200, you should then have that as an option when you go back to the "settings" tab. You might have to restart the window system but it should work.

This only has a tab on the left side for "size and orientation" which just gives me size, refresh and orientation as a choice. The dialog has lots of blank space and I am wondering if their is a trick to start it up as an "administrator" or somthing to have more choice.

On the advanced side there is a "hardware" tab but it offers choices for Power management backend, network management backend and Bluetooth.

William Case wrote:

I had much the same problem in Fedora with the Xorg "nv" (nvidia)
driver.  All my problems went away when I installed the rpmfushion
nvidia driver.

The motherboard has an Intel video built in to one of the bridge chips, which I am hoping will save me from buying