Re: [OCLUG-Tech] tutorial on Kubuntu 9.04? Funny problems. Gigabyte Built in video

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] tutorial on Kubuntu 9.04? Funny problems. Gigabyte Built in video
  • From: R RENAUD <rjrenaud [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 08:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Sat, 5/2/09, Charles MacDonald <cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> But I have been getting a few glitches..
>
> 1) Screensize.  The unit is connected to my old 21 inch
> monitor which suggests I use 1600 X 1200 as resolution.
> maximum that the System settings Display applet will do is
> 1360X768 which gives a picture that is stretched vertically,
> worse, the system starts up at 1152 X 864, and jumps to the
> higher resolution as soon as I open the system settings.
>
> The video is on board the Motherboard
>
> is there any "video tuning application that I can get
> an idea of why the resolution is such strange values.

I"m not using Ubuntu but I've had screen resolution issues with other Linux installations.  Using the common (is it standard?) display settings gui, there are 3 tabs for "settings", "hardware" and (maybe) "dual head".
The maximum resolution on the "settings" tab might go as high as you want but if you select the "hardware" tab and tell it your monitor is capable of 1600x1200, you should then have that as an option when you go back to the "settings" tab.  You might have to restart the window system but it should work.

HTH

roland