Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Espial Layoffs

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 01:20:57PM -0800, Robert Echlin wrote:
> Hi, guys,
>
> OK, this is embarassing.
>
> I show up at the meeting last week, with little leather pouch
> thingies, and advertise my company, and two guys even send me resumes,
> and now the company dumps 30% of the staff, including me.

I'm in a similar position, but not so extreme.  I've been trying to
attract people to Lumenera for a couple of years now, and in
mid-September 8 of us got laid off (12%).  It wasn't a complete surprise
to me, and not a complete disappointment.  As a result, I'm looking for
work as a Linux kernel, driver or embedded programmer in network,
security, video or audio.  I'm open to permanent or contract work,
having done both.

> So I hope you guys really like the pouch thingies, cause that's about
> all the good that came of that. I still think that Espial is going
> places, but now that I'm not on board, I don't care as much.

Pouch thingies?  Same perspective on Lumenera...

> Job search summary: yep, I'm searching.
>
> Work I like and have experience at:
> - Software config management,
> - build systems,
> - scripting,
> - automation,
> - preference to Linux but I'm so good I can even write scripts on Other Operating Systems.
>
> "Applicable Acronyms" listed at my blog on this page:
>
> http://talksoftware.echlin.ca/node/20
>
> Results so far:
> One phone call from a recruiter the day of the event -  and he claims
> it was a coincidence.
> One possibility from each of two recruiters so far, and they have
> promised me interviews next week maybe.

You're doing well.  I've been doing a lot more market research.  I was
also in Australia for 3 weeks, a trip planned last February.  I was
there for the 20th anniversary of the World Solar Challenge
(wsc.org.au), an international cross-country solar car rayce, as a staff
photographer.

I'm leery of recruiters...  What's been your experience?  I had one guy
tell me he was in an interview arranged by a recruiter and he realized
the recruiter had grossly embellished his resume and had to start making
that clear during the interview.

> So anyway, see you guys around.
> Rob
>
> --
>
> Rob Echlin, B. Eng.
>
> Automation pays!
>
> talksoftware.echlin.ca
>
> Ottawa, ON
>
> 613-726-1159

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!