[OCLUG-Tech] Feisty Wireless Problems (Intel 3945ABG)

Hey folks,

With luck this will prove to be a short-lived problems, as I plan to
upgrade to Ubuntu Gutsy when it comes out in a few weeks, but in the
mean time...

I received my brand new Dell laptop yesterday.  With glee, I took the
preloaded Vista install out back, told it about the rabbits, and had
an Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty installation up and running in short order.  The
Feisty install is meant to be a placeholder until the next release.
Everything that I care about is up and working without problems,
except my wireless.

I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG PCI card, which is shown in lspci.

paterson@bilbo:~$ lsmod | grep 3945
ipw3945               118816  1
ieee80211              34760  1 ipw3945

At work, and at home, I have been successful in connecting to a WEP
secured wireless network, but signal strength drops to 0%, and I have
an address of 0.0.0.0, broadcast is 0.0.0.0, network mask, default
route, DNS are all 0.0.0.0

paterson@bilbo:~$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      unassociated  ESSID:"Wireless1"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:16:C8:66:7D:50
          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:16 dBm
          Retry limit:15   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Googling has yielded little except to tell me many suffer the same
problem, and many have no issues at all.  Does anyone here have any
wisdom to impart?

Thanks.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
                                        -- Thomas Paine