Re: [OCLUG-Tech] video capture

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 08:06:27PM -0400, Kevin Everets wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 12:52:14PM -0400, Prof J C Nash wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have experience of doing this into Linux and have
> > recommendations for video capture cards that do a reasonable job for
> > price of card in $100s rather than $1000s? I'd prefer if possible to use
> > S-Video input, as I've a reasonably good VCR with S-video output. Rather
> > old All In Wonder using RCA connection is functional but not too crisp.
>
> The Hauppauge WinTV cards can be acquired for relatively cheap (often
> less than $100) and do a decent job of video capture on Linux with the
> S-video inputs.  They're normally bt8x8 based, and most distributions
> have the drivers built-in these days.
>
> For capture software, there's several that support the V4L interface.
> You could use mencoder or xdtv or the like.

Yeah, I've vote for the Hauppage WinTV PVR-150.

They're cheap (~$100), and they have an MPEG-2 hardware encoder.  The
only caveat is that the driver isn't in-tree, so you have to compile the
module yourself and retrieve the card firmware from the internet.  There
are good tutorials around, just search for them.

I have a 150 and a 350 (which is basically the same as the 150 but also
has an mpeg decoder chip) in my MythTV PVR and they work beautifully.

mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE