Re: [OCLUG-Tech] video capture

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 12:52:14PM -0400, Prof J C Nash wrote:

> Does anyone have experience of doing this into Linux and have
> recommendations for video capture cards that do a reasonable job for
> price of card in $100s rather than $1000s? I'd prefer if possible to use
> S-Video input, as I've a reasonably good VCR with S-video output. Rather
> old All In Wonder using RCA connection is functional but not too crisp.

The Hauppauge WinTV cards can be acquired for relatively cheap (often
less than $100) and do a decent job of video capture on Linux with the
S-video inputs.  They're normally bt8x8 based, and most distributions
have the drivers built-in these days.

For capture software, there's several that support the V4L interface.
You could use mencoder or xdtv or the like.

Hope that helps,

Kevin.