[OCLUG-Tech] 3web/Rogers problems

Hello All,

A friend is using 3web as an ISP, which, in his case, is a reseller of Rogers
Cable.  (http://www.get3web.com/splash.jsp)  He was recently cut-off as
Rogers (not 3web) claims that he is downloading excessively, either because
of his own activities, because of a virus, or because someone is free-riding
on his wireless network.

I do not think this is possible since:

He is using Kubuntu Dapper Drake and is pretty much up-to-date on his updates;
He is not running any servers;
He is not doing any p2p (he does little more than light surfing and email);
Using a LiveCD (the latest Helix) and chrootkit reports no sign of a rootkit;
and
His wireless network is using WPA/TPIK with a 128 random character
pass-phrase.

I've checked the logs on the router; unfortunately they were wiped when he
recently powered cycled.

I think the problem is on the Roger's side.  Can anyone out there either offer
more advice about what might be wrong that I should investigate for him, or
suggest what ammunition he might use in arguing with 3web/Rogers?  For
example, I vaguely recall that cable networks were susceptible to session
hijacking through arp poisoning or packet sniffing, but I don't recall the
details and I haven't been able to come up with a good search query for
google that filters out all the noise.  Reports of similar problems with
Rogers would be most useful.

I set him up as he is a complete computer neophyte.  I'd love to switch him
away from 3web/Rogers, but DSL seems to be out for him (too far from the CO).

Many thanks in advance.

Michael

(A very, very, very happy Magma client.  Did I say I was happy with Magma?  I
am.  Very.)