Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copying Empty Directories

Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
You want a recursive copy, which you can do with the options -r or -a.
See "man cp".
Thanks Richard, Bart, Dmitriy for all the suggestions. They really helped a lot. I now have a first version of a script working that is backing up the files that I consider important. Now I can tinker with it and make it better, and experiment with things like rsync.

The problem that I was having is that I did not know if various described features did what I wanted. I had read "man cp" several times, but did not know the full implications of all the described options. For instance, I just want to save my email so I can restore it on another machine if this one fails. Do I need an exact copy using the -a option for cp? I don't know, but I suspect not. Anyway, I have a starting point now and I can try various experiments to figure out these details. Thanks again.

--
Randal Leavitt - another Ubuntu user
http://positiveenergy.blogspot.com/