Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copying Empty Directories

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 12:39:48AM -0500, Randal Leavitt wrote:
> Hi All ....
>
> I am trying to backup my email on a memory stick.  I used the cp command:
>
> cp source directory
>
> The email directory is called "Local Folders" and it contains a number
> of empty directories.  The cp command refuses to copy these empty
> directories.  Is there some way I can force the cp command to do this?

You want a recursive copy, which you can do with the options -r or -a.

See "man cp".

> Do I need these empty directories on the memory stick?  Could I restore
> my email on another computer properly without them?

If you want the exact copy, then use -a.

> Randal Leavitt - another Ubuntu user

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --    ~\             Auto-Free Ottawa! Canada
<www.TriColour.net>                --    \@       @       <www.flora.org/afo/>