Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Spam Assassin question

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Spam Assassin question
  • From: Hugh Campbell <hdc [ at ] fs [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:18:15 -0400
On July 20, 2006 06:31 pm, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:

> You need huge amounts of spam to train spamassassin, but it does
> indeed work.  After a bout of spam making it through, I trained it
> against my 4000 spams collected over time (most of them categorised
> as such by spamassassin itself), and then received no uncaught spam
> for a while.

Many thanks to all who replied.

Hmmm.  Should I be _saving_ all of my spam, and then telling SpamAssassin to
go learn it after I have accumulated a ton of it??  I have been deleting it
as I go along (after telling KMail to "Filter Classify As Spam").  I have
KMail set to automatically move all spam, including the inbox stuff that I
manually mark as spam, into a spam folder. But I have been religiously
cleaning out the spam folder thereafter.  In other words, I tell it to
"learn" it, then I go to the spam folder and just trash it.  Is this
behaviour wrong?

I used to use the spam filtering in Thunderbird (I believe) in that fashion,
and it seemed much quicker to learn.

I get the feeling that I may have things set up so that I am fighting myself.
Should I be _collecting_ spam instead?

Hugh